Saturday, February 25, 2012

Short sighted

This article written by Carla Lohr, points out how people can lump all with disabilities into the same pile. Are there some who are overprotected because they have disabilities? Yes. Do most parents want to see their children do as much as they can on their own? Yes, I think so.

In Miss. Lohr’s article she writes, “In an effort to make life as comfortable as possible, some parents will seek out special schools, groups, or activities catered to their children, so that they will only have to deal with children who share their disability Obviously, no parents want their children to have to deal with feeling different, being left out or being hurt by questions and curious looks. They don't want their children to deal with the frustration of trying to fit in and not always succeeding. They don't want them to get discouraged, and they don't want life to be any more difficult for them than it already is. In theory, this practice seems like the ideal solution. In reality, it can have devastating effects.” In practice the author seems like a wonderful do-gooder. In reality Miss. Lohr is naive and ill-informed.

Without organizations like Special Olympics and Challenger Sports my daughter wouldn’t be able to participate in team sports. This isn’t something I have made up in my head, this is fact. My daughter goes to a typical public school but she is in a self contained class, we did the general ed thing and it was a nightmare for her. This isn’t my imagination, I’m not trying to be overprotective, I am trying to get the best education I can for her.

I often equate special education today to the woman’s liberation movement. Because women before me fought for their place in the workplace I know have so many options. I can work full-time, part-time, mother’s hours, as needed or not at all.

There isn’t a one size fits all solution for people with disabilities, just as there’s no one size fits all solution for any subset of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment