Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Giving thanks

We have come a very long way with Em, there was a time where her behaviors were so destructive that it was all we could do to get through a day. I think back a few years ago and I sometimes ask myself how we got through some of those days. We’ve come into an amazing place with Em, she has calmed down and tuned in. Sometimes, when you’re in the thick of situations you can’t step back and see the growth but when the dust settles, it’s amazing to see how far you have come. I don’t know what clicked, I don’t know what changed but I do know that I am so thankful for the changes.

There’s no guidebook to raising a child with both Down syndrome and Autism, it’s a bit of trial and error and A LOT of connecting with others and learning from what they did right and wrong. If there’s something that I could share with another parent it would be to keep striving for the next goal, don’t let the excuses pile up.

No comments:

Post a Comment